Design Talk 24. Mat Hunter, Managing Director, The Central Research Laboratory; manufacturing renaissance
Mat Hunter, Managing Director of the Central Research Laboratory, talked to Marek Pawlowski, founder of MEX, about the manufacturing heritage of CRL’s unique startup acceleration facility and his plans for a design-led hardware renaissance in the UK. The CRL resides in the Shipping Building on the old EMI site, where the evocative slogan ‘His Master’s Voice’ is emblazoned in huge letters across the exterior, recalling the history of a location closely associated with British industry and creativity. Today the Central Research Laboratory is an accelerator of digital and manufacturing innovation, helping a new generation of hardware companies achieve industrial scale. Mat took on the role in 2016, after a career which has included time as a partner at IDEO, Chief Designer Officer for the Design Council and lecturing at the Royal College of Art and Imperial College.
On this edition
- Marek Pawlowski, co-host & founder of MEX (@marekpawlowski)
- Mat Hunter, Managing Director, The Central Research Laboratory (@mat_hunter)
- His Master’s Voice, EMI and the history of the Old Vinyl Factory at the Hayes manufacturing site.
- The Central Research Laboratory is a partnership of Brunel University, U+I and the Higher Education Funding Council for England.
- Mat mentioned Joto and Do It Kits as two start-ups working with The Central Research Laboratory.
- We also talked about Technology Will Save Us and SAM Labs as examples of the maker movement at home.
- Marek talked about the LG G5 and its ‘Friends’ system of hardware add-ons, as well as Lenovo’s Moto Z and Motomods.
- Mat has worked at IDEO, Imperial College, the Royal College of Arts and the Design Council.
Photos from the MEX visit to the Central Research Laboratory
About MEX Design Talk & how to get in touch
The podcast for the MEX community, interviewing UX pioneers, exploring emerging technologies, user behaviour and how to design better digital experiences.
- Archive of previous MEX Design Talk episodes
- Subscribe for future editions by searching ‘MEX Design Talk’ in your favourite podcast player. We’re also on iTunes and SoundCloud. For the old school, here’s our RSS feed
- If you enjoy MEX Design Talk, please help others discover the podcast by giving us a 5 star rating and a review on iTunes
- Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter or email email@example.com.
- MEX events
- MEX journal
- Jukedeck, for the artificial intelligence engine which provided the music
[…] Hunter, Managing Director of the Central Research Laboratory (who you can hear in episode 24 of the MEX podcast), opened the launch event by reminding participants that designers thrived on the ambiguity which […]