Driving change with strategic design in diverse industries – from healthcare to automotive – has emerged as the dominant theme in the first year of the MEX podcast. Hosts Marek Pawlowski and Alex Guest review memorable insights from some of the 20+ guests who’ve been on the show over the last year and discuss how they’ve evolved since. The conversation leads to a discussion of user experience lessons Alex is now applying in his own start-up and exciting plans for the future of MEX Design Talk. Thanks to all our guests, listeners and contributors for a great first year! Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
On this edition
- Marek Pawlowski, co-host & founder of MEX (@marekpawlowski)
- Alex Guest, co-host & CEO of Zingy.life (@alexguest)
Memorable quotes from MEX podcast guests
“People with disabilities are some of the best lifehackers: you’re forced to innovate to overcome accessibility issues.” — Neil Milliken, Head of Accessibility & Digital Inclusion, Atos
“Innovation is as much about bringing together the right cultures as it is the right talents & processes.” — Mat Hunter, Managing Director, The Central Research Laboratory
“When users break things or create workarounds it gives designers a clear signal…” — Sabrina Majeed, product design manager, Buzzfeed
“Design must come from the startup’s core team.” — Timo Ahopelto, Founding Partner, Lifeline Ventures
“Pharma is a challenging area for UX. In some markets regulation prevents you conducting user research directly with patients. ” — Rob Graham, Global Head of User Experience, AstraZeneca
“In mobile I could go from concept to store shelves in 9 months. In automotive we are still in 3 to 5 year product plans.” — Parrish Hanna, Global Director, Interaction & Ergonomics, Ford
- Episode 28, talking with Roger Andersson Reimer about design in Malmo
- Episode 7, Timo Ahopelto discussing the strategic value of design in start-ups
- Zingy.life, Alex’s personal nutrition start-up
- How to successfully commission user experience projects, the MEX guide mentioned by Marek
- Innovate UK’s Design Foundations competition and the MEX article on the launch
- Episode 23, Rob Graham on UX challenges in pharmaceuticals
- Episode 15, Parrish Hanna on digital transformation in automotive
- Episode 4, Sabrina Majeed talking about user-centred design at Buzzfeed
- Episode 20, Neil Milliken on inclusive design
- Acquisitions and long-term growth strategies for design agencies, Marek’s essay looking at the future of agency and in-house relationships
- Episode 17, the VR special with Greg Taylor at Tigerspike
- Patrizia Bertini, co-host, & Senior Strategy Consultant, Lithium (@legoviews) returns in future shows.
About MEX Design Talk & how to get in touch
The podcast for the MEX community, interviewing UX pioneers, exploring emerging technologies, user behaviour and how to design better digital experiences.
- Archive of previous MEX Design Talk episodes
- Subscribe for future editions by searching ‘MEX Design Talk’ in your favourite podcast player. We’re also on iTunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher and TuneIn. For the old school, here’s our RSS feed
- If you enjoy MEX Design Talk, please help others discover the podcast by giving us a 5 star rating and a review on iTunes
- Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter or email email@example.com.
- MEX events
- MEX journal
- Jukedeck, for the artificial intelligence engine which provided the music