This episode goes in-depth on digital consumption, looking at user behaviours, design principles and future user experiences.
On this edition
- Marek Pawlowski, co-host & founder of MEX (@marekpawlowski)
- Alex Guest, co-host & CEO of Zingy.life (@alexguest)
- Sabrina Majeed, product design manager, Buzzfeed (@sabrina)
Theme: digital consumption UX
Marek and Alex talk about examples of digital consumption inspiring their thinking about design, uncover some principles for building these kind of experiences and share their own behaviours with digital media.
- Economist article on dating services
- 72 Seasons (thanks to Russell Davies’ blog for the intro)
- Serial from This American Life
- Freakonomics Radio
- Google’s 2012 study, ‘The new multi-channel world‘
- Alex and Marek’s essay on the intersection of consumption and creativity
- Design principles from Alex’s MEX/14 team on restoring focus to digital consumption
- Dr. Jane Lessiter and Eva Ferrari of Goldsmiths University speak at MEX/6 in 2009 on the psychology of continuous partial attention
- Sofia Svanteson of Ocean Observations reads her poem about getting lost on Pinterest at MEX/13 (starts at 12:15 in the video)
- Arun Vasudeva MEX/13 talk on combining communication and consumption modes in a single digital experience
Interview: Sabrina Majeed, Buzzfeed
When Sabrina Majeed spoke at MEX/11 she helped participants understand the principles of designing context aware experiences for media consumption, drawing on lessons learned at Miso, an entertainment start-up. Her career has now taken her to Buzzfeed and she talks in detail with Marek Pawlowski about new forms of digital consumption, designing for both consumers and creators, her own path in UX and what we can learn from the Buzzfeed generation.
- Sabrina’s talk at MEX/11 on context aware design
User story: sports TV at the bus stop
A conversation between an elderly lady and her neighbour reveals subscription surfing is not the exclusive preserve of millenials.
About MEX Design Talk
The podcast for the MEX community, interviewing UX pioneers, exploring emerging technologies, user behaviour and how to design better digital experiences.
- Subscribe for future editions by searching ‘MEX Design Talk’ in your favourite podcast player. We’re also on iTunes and SoundCloud. For the old school, here’s our RSS feed
- If you enjoy MEX Design Talk, please help others discover the podcast by giving us a 5 star rating and a review on iTunes
- Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter
- MEX events
- MEX journal
- Jukedeck, for the artificial intelligence engine which provided the music