This episode catches up on the latest happenings in the MEX community, from the launch of new design agencies to M&A activity, and features an in-depth interview with Louisa Heinrich about the etiquette of robot user experience.
On this edition
- Marek Pawlowski, co-host & founder of MEX (@marekpawlowski)
- Louisa Heinrich, founder, Superhuman (@customdeluxe)
- Co-host Alex Guest returns in the next edition (@alexguest)
Latest from the MEX Community
- Finnish service design agency Hellon appoints Markus Hohl as CEO of its London studio. Markus spoke at MEX/14 about large scale transformation of company design culture while he was at Orange and O2 – you can watch his MEX talk here.
- John Maeda, design partner at VC firm KCPB, has released a new edition of his #DesignInTech presentation for 2016, charting the growing M&A activity in the sector and the strategic value placed on user-centred design agencies. You can also read Marek’s essay on this theme in the MEX archives.
- The MEX Design Talk podcast is increasing from once every two weeks to once a week. We’re receiving great feedback from listeners and have a wealth of interesting interviews coming up, including Dr. Mike Short CBE, VP at Telefonica; Timo Ahopelto, founding partner at investment firm Lifeline Ventures; and Ramona Liberoff, CEO of the Spring Accelerator.
Interview: Louisa Heinrich, founder, Superhuman and Chief Strategy Officer, Designtalent
Louisa Heinrich will be familiar to many in the MEX community from the talks and design challenges she has run with us over the years. She speaks with Marek Pawlowski about the complex user experience challenges associated with designing autonomous digital experiences – or ‘robots’, for want of a better term – her own career in UX, the origins of digital design and design education.
- Superhuman Limited
- Louisa’s MEX/15 talk on the etiquette of robot UX
- Louisa’s MEX/11 talk on context aware design
- User experience principles for robots & IoT
- Relay robot
- Robots at the Henn-na Hotel (including the dinosaur at the front desk)
User story: FaceTime in the real world
We look at two examples of how users are defying analyst predictions and beginning to make video calls when out and about, regardless of whether they’re on the top deck of a bus or walking down the middle of a street.
About MEX Design Talk
The podcast for the MEX community, interviewing UX pioneers, exploring emerging technologies, user behaviour and how to design better digital experiences.
- Subscribe for future editions by searching ‘MEX Design Talk’ in your favourite podcast player. We’re also on iTunes and SoundCloud. For the old school, here’s our RSS feed
- If you enjoy MEX Design Talk, please help others discover the podcast by giving us a 5 star rating and a review on iTunes
- Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter
- MEX events
- MEX journal
- Jukedeck, for the artificial intelligence engine which provided the music