Jo Barnard is founder of the London-based design agency Morrama. She talks to Marek Pawlowski about the journey she’s been on since founding the business four years ago. The conversation turns to the development of Morrama’s beautifully considered smartphone concepts, part of a hybrid client and internal project which focuses on changing users’ relationship with their phones through better industrial design. Along the way, Jo and Marek talk about the challenges of growing an agency, keeping creative inspiration fresh and establishing the values to guide client work. Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter or email email@example.com.
- Apple Podcasts
- Or search ‘MEX Design Talk’ in your favourite podcast player
On this edition
- Our next MEX dining club event is in London on 15th May. This edition is on the theme of ‘Journeys’ and starts with a relaxed, 1.5 mile pre-dinner walk to meet your fellow diners. Get in touch if you’d like an invite.
- ‘Smarter phones‘, Morrama’s three designs for re-thinking people’s relationship with their mobile devices.
- Manta Health, the osteopathy project Morrama worked on.
- Robert Bye, Morrama’s co-founder.
- Cellar door, mentioned by J R R Tolkien in a 1955 lecture as one of the most phonaesthetically pleasing sounds in the English language.
- Montserrat font, as used in Morrama’s logo.
- Brunel University, where Jo studied.
- Some of the ways MEX and Brunel have worked together.
- Robert McFarlane’s book The Old Ways, mentioned by Marek as an example of writing on the theme of creativity and motion.
- Craig Mod’s publishing experiment and 1000 Km walk around Japan, mentioned by Marek.
About MEX Design Talk & how to get in touch
The podcast for the MEX community, interviewing UX pioneers, exploring emerging technologies, user behaviour and how to design better digital experiences.
- Archive of previous MEX Design Talk episodes
- Subscribe for future editions by searching ‘MEX Design Talk’ in your favourite podcast player. We’re also on Apple Podcasts, SoundCloud, Stitcher and TuneIn. For the old school, here’s our RSS feed
- If you enjoy MEX Design Talk, please help others discover the podcast by giving us a 5 star rating and a review on Apple Podcasts
- Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MEX events
- MEX journal
- MEX Jobs Board
- Jukedeck, for the artificial intelligence engine which provided the music