Mark Baldino’s path to co-founding a Chicago-based design agency wends its way from a degree in theology and working at non-profits in Washington DC to reading an early edition of ‘Information Architecture for the World Wide Web’ and a job as a late 90s web designer he claims he was totally unqualified for. What shines through today is a continuing commitment to bringing a certain set of values to the agency’s UX work in healthcare and other sectors. Mark talks to MEX founder Marek Pawlowski about the nuances of selling design services, nurturing skills and growth within a team, and how the pandemic has influenced his agency’s approach.
- Apple Podcasts
- Or search ‘MEX Design Talk’ in your favourite podcast player
On this edition
- Mark Baldino, co-founder, Fuzzy Math (@fuzzymath)
- Marek Pawlowski, podcast host & founder, MEX (@marekpawlowski)
- Miro, mentioned by Mark as an example of a virtual workspace tool used to augment remote client workshops.
- Information Architecture for the World Wide Web (now Information Architecture, 4th edition), a book mentioned by Mark as part of his early training in web design.
- Illinois Institute of Technology, the Chicago school mentioned by Mark as an example of the design community in the area.
- Episode 57 of the MEX podcast, when Marek spoke with Laura Forlano, Associate Professor, IIT Institute of Design. Of interest to those wanting to know more about design in Chicago.
- Episode 31 of the MEX podcast, with Craig Bryant, another Chicago-based agency founder. Of interest to those wanting to know more about the digital and design scene in Chicago.
- Information from the Chicago Architecture Centre about Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe, the influential architect mentioned by Mark.
- Ben Ihnchak, co-founder at Fuzzy Math.
- Fuzzy Math’s 6 guiding principles, including ‘Be kind, be humble’ and ‘Communicate with purpose’. Scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Several Fuzzy Math case studies, including their work on several healthcare projects.
- 1% for the Planet, an initiative putting people and planet over profit, supported by Fuzzy Math.
About MEX Design Talk & how to get in touch
The podcast for the MEX community, interviewing UX pioneers, exploring emerging technologies, user behaviour and how to design better digital experiences.
- Archive of previous MEX Design Talk episodes
- Subscribe for future editions by searching ‘MEX Design Talk’ in your favourite podcast player. We’re also on Apple Podcasts, SoundCloud, Spotify, Stitcher and TuneIn. For the old school, here’s our RSS feed
- If you enjoy MEX Design Talk, please help others discover the podcast by giving us a 5 star rating and a review on Apple Podcasts
- Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MEX events
- MEX journal