Reporting directly to the Senior Vice President of Design and Experience, the Senior Director of User Experience and Research will be responsible for establishing the user experience vision, strong working design process and principles and building a multidisciplinary organization of designers, researchers, prototypers, content writers and experience engineers. This candidate will drive a progressive culture of user experience, design thinking and design innovation for all customer facing Arlo applications, platforms, web properties and digital behaviors and interactions. To be successful, the individual will apply strategic thinking to deliver end-to-end user-centered experiences, with the creativity and judgment to translate vision into concepts and designs that illustrate simplicity despite underlying complexity or constraints.
The ideal candidate will have a clear vision for the future of the connected, smart home. They will also have the organizational competence to execute on that vision, including the ability to influence Arlo’s executive leadership team. The candidate should be an action-oriented, independent thinker who can perform quickly in a team environment. S/he will be smart, non-political, team-oriented and collaborative, with the ability to influence leaders across the organization. S/he will build and mentor a first- class, competitive user experience team that is focused on providing a best-in-class connected smart home experience. This team will be passionate about building on Arlo’s core capabilities to enhance the satisfaction of its users.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the development of next-generation product designs that offer consistent, high-quality user experiences across all of Arlo’s products and integrate Arlo software services with all devices.
- Collaborate with Arlo’s executive and product development teams to understand product requirements, negotiate product features, budgets and milestones, and actively participate in product reviews, communicate design requirements, and support the delivery of new products optimized for rapid market delivery.
- Actively build and shape the team responsible for all aspects of User Experience design, research, prototyping, information architecture, content and sound design, and collaborate with cross-functional teams to perfect the final product.
- Build a culture of UX & design excellence within the team, setting consistently high expectation for strategy, execution and delivery of highly engaging interfaces.
- Align customers’ needs with Arlo’s business strategies and deliver results across core business metrics, including: engagement, user growth, software services margin, customer satisfaction.
- Own the UX/UI/UR practice, innovative user research frameworks, style-guides, standards and communicate those principles to the overall team. Work closely with team members to define, document and maintain overall Arlo user experience strategy, rollout and maintenance for Arlo design.
- Proven, demonstrated experience developing excellent relationships and effectively collaborating with Product Management and Engineering teams.
- Provide expertise and mentorship to all phases of UX which includes scoping design projects, choosing proper user research tactics, discovering underlying user needs, creating prototypes or giving detailed critiques of design and copy.
- Maintain strong awareness of the competitive landscape and UX trends, while constantly searching for new creative ideas and inspiration.
- Experience working alongside industrial design, brand strategy, marketing, and audio teams.
- Travel to other Arlo offices, up to 10% of time, and travel to partner locations as needed.
- 15+ years of progressive design leadership at world class, design-focused companies.
- 10+ years of experience leading multidisciplinary UCD teams of designers, researchers and engineers.
- Proven track record delivering simple, intuitive solutions.
- Proven Leadership and Communications skills. This individual must have a flexible and compelling communication style that will carry weight with both business and technical audiences inside and outside of Arlo. The candidate will have a track record of engaging others with clear directions and goals, delegating effectively and empowering his/her team.
- Experience working in an agile, data-driven environment.
- Ability to practice UX on a holistic level, taking under consideration all end-user interactions.
- Exceptional analytical skills and Immense technical UX and UR knowledge.
- Ability to mentor and influence others.
- Access and ability to recruit exceptional technical and creative design professionals to Arlo.
- Prior experience working for a consumer devices company is ideal.
- Qualified candidates must present an online portfolio that exhibits broad, comprehensive UCD design solutions, and clearly shows process, thinking and finely crafted UX deliverables and a passion for digital product development. A portfolio is an essential piece of any application for a design role. Applicants who do not supply a link or PDF with samples of their work will unfortunately not be considered.
To apply for this job please visit chk.tbe.taleo.net.