Mark Rolston is working on the future, from mixed reality delivered via digital eyewear for the likes of Magic Leap, to experimental projects exploring how projected interfaces might materialise in the physical world. Mark talks to MEX founder Marek Pawlowski about his long career at frog design, where he led global creative after a 20 year tenure, and the co-founding of his own agency – argodesign – in 2014. The conversation ranges from the possibilities of emerging, next generation interface technologies to the societal implications of these and what it might mean for designers. Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apple Podcasts
- Or search ‘MEX Design Talk’ in your favourite podcast player
On this edition
- Marek Pawlowski, podcast host & founder, MEX (@marekpawlowski)
- Mark Rolston, founder and chief creative, argodesign (@markrolstonargo)
- Summary (PDF) of Mark’s 2007 session at the MEX/3 conference entitled ‘Building personalisation into every level of value chain to grow margins and deliver an individualised experience’. A moment in time!
- argodesign’s work on mixed reality for Magic Leap.
- A MEX article with some thoughts on skeuomorphism and how it differs from the architectural structure of a digital experience.
- Android’s Material Design principles, mentioned by Marek as an example of layers and depth in otherwise 2D experiences.
- Episode 12 of the MEX podcast, when Marek and Alex spoke to Greg Taylor about virtual, augmented and mixed reality.
- Episode 17 of the MEX podcast, an on-site demo special when Marek and Alex visited Greg Taylor at Tigerspike to explore virtual reality experiences.
- An article by Marek entitled ‘Beyond the rectangle: charting progress towards next generation UIs‘ exploring many of the concepts Mark and Marek discussed around spatial interfaces.
- A MEX talk by Dale Herigstad on spatial interface design from September 2012 at MEX/11.
- argodesign’s work on United Rentals, mentioned by Mark.
- frog design, where Mark worked for 20 years, latterly as global head of creative.
- Mark Gauger, Rolston’s co-founder at argodesign.
- argodesign’s work on Interactive Light, an internal project exploring projected interfaces.
- Mark’s article for Fast Company on what designers could learn from doctors, lawyers and priests.
- Definition: AEEE (All of the Time, Everywhere, Everyone, Everything) problems. A definition mentioned by Mark in the context of large-scale digital design challenges.
- Hartmut Esslinger, founder of frog design.
- DXC’s 2018 acquisition of argodesign.
About MEX Design Talk & how to get in touch
The podcast for the MEX community, interviewing UX pioneers, exploring emerging technologies, user behaviour and how to design better digital experiences.
- Archive of previous MEX Design Talk episodes
- Subscribe for future editions by searching ‘MEX Design Talk’ in your favourite podcast player. We’re also on Apple Podcasts, SoundCloud, Stitcher and TuneIn. For the old school, here’s our RSS feed
- If you enjoy MEX Design Talk, please help others discover the podcast by giving us a 5 star rating and a review on Apple Podcasts
- Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter or email email@example.com.
- MEX events
- MEX journal
- MEX Jobs Board
- Jukedeck, for the artificial intelligence engine which provided the music