Omar Bakhshi sits down to share the story of his career, from tinkering with electronics as a child to the strategic projects he now leads at Smart Design for some of the world’s largest companies. Marek and Omar reflect on how the challenges faced in designing digital experiences have changed since 12 years ago, when Omar first spoke at MEX, and the biggest problem was getting people to use the internet on their mobiles. The conversation dives into the nuances of future skills, Omar’s dream project and the virtues of working for an independent agency. Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter or email email@example.com.
- Apple Podcasts
- Or search ‘MEX Design Talk’ in your favourite podcast player
On this edition
- Our next MEX dining club event is in London on 26th March. Get in touch if you’d like an invite – it’s a relaxed dinner talking about experience design with fellow pioneers.
- Loughborough University, where Omar studied.
- Omar’s article ‘An ad man’s 30-day lesson on design studio culture‘.
- Revisionist History, the Malcolm Gladwell podcast mentioned by Omar.
- “The biggest challenge is that no one is currently using the mobile internet at all. The panel wanted to see new ways of engaging the consumer and push methodology was recommended.” A conclusion of the MEX/3 session Omar was part of in 2007.
- Sega Master System, a game console mentioned by Marek; and PlayStation 3, a less dated console mentioned by Omar.
- Further listening: Ruby Steel, also of Smart Design, was on episode 30 of the MEX podcast.
About MEX Design Talk & how to get in touch
The podcast for the MEX community, interviewing UX pioneers, exploring emerging technologies, user behaviour and how to design better digital experiences.
- Archive of previous MEX Design Talk episodes
- Subscribe for future editions by searching ‘MEX Design Talk’ in your favourite podcast player. We’re also on Apple Podcasts, SoundCloud, Stitcher and TuneIn. For the old school, here’s our RSS feed
- If you enjoy MEX Design Talk, please help others discover the podcast by giving us a 5 star rating and a review on Apple Podcasts
- Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MEX events
- MEX journal
- MEX Jobs Board
- Jukedeck, for the artificial intelligence engine which provided the music