Rachel Liu traces her path as a service designer to an early interest in making and a degree in computer science. She talks to MEX founder Marek Pawlowski about the evolution of her career, including the nuances of conducting complex user research in countries like China. The conversation touches on the way education in China has changed since Rachel’s earlier talk at the MEX/16 conference and goes on to explore skills Rachel is honing in herself and others to progress the practice of service design. Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apple Podcasts
- Or search ‘MEX Design Talk’ in your favourite podcast player
- If you prefer to read the interview, a written transcript is available in ‘A conversation with Rachel Liu‘.
On this edition
- Marek Pawlowski, podcast host & founder, MEX (@marekpawlowski)
- Rachel Liu, Lead Service Designer, Pearson Education, (@rachelsliu)
- Our next MEX dining club events are in Barcelona on 26th February (alongside Mobile World Congress) and in London on 26th March. Get in touch if you’d like an invite – it’s a relaxed dinner talking about experience design with fellow pioneers.
- The Symbian Foundation, where Rachel worked as an intern in 2006/7, getting an introduction to programming resource-constrained mobile devices.
- Rachel’s MEX/16 talk, where she shared insights from user research conducted into the Chinese education market.
- Wall Street English, one of the educational brands owned by Pearson in China.
- Culture Map by Erin Meyer, a book recommended by Rachel, which helped her understand working across global scenarios.
- Patrizia Bertini’s Lego Serious Play session at MEX/15, discussed by Marek as an example of how playfulness and fun can unlock participation in research session.
- Episode 34 of MEX Design Talk, where Josh Shabtai of Lowe’s Innovation Labs talks about different ways of engaging stakeholders in user-centred design, including the use of comic book narratives.
- Education First, where Rachel worked.
About MEX Design Talk & how to get in touch
The podcast for the MEX community, interviewing UX pioneers, exploring emerging technologies, user behaviour and how to design better digital experiences.
- Archive of previous MEX Design Talk episodes
- Subscribe for future editions by searching ‘MEX Design Talk’ in your favourite podcast player. We’re also on Apple Podcasts, SoundCloud, Stitcher and TuneIn. For the old school, here’s our RSS feed
- If you enjoy MEX Design Talk, please help others discover the podcast by giving us a 5 star rating and a review on Apple Podcasts
- Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter or email email@example.com.
- MEX events
- MEX journal
- MEX Jobs Board
- Jukedeck, for the artificial intelligence engine which provided the music