Gavin Edwards directs product design and research for Skyscanner, a travel search platform serving 90 million users a month. He talks to MEX founder Marek Pawlowski about applying research insights at scale, the cultural nuances of users’ travel behaviours and his own journey through design agency work to leading in-house teams. Along the way, the conversations touches on design education, Gavin’s love of engineering and tinkering, as well as hiring for large-scale design teams of 50+ headcount. Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apple Podcasts
- Or search ‘MEX Design Talk’ in your favourite podcast player
On this edition
- Marek Pawlowski, podcast host & founder, MEX (@marekpawlowski)
- Gavin Edwards, Director of Product Design & Research, Skyscanner (@thewince)
- InVision’s Design Maturity Model, mentioned by Gavin as an example of thinking about design operations.
- McKinsey Design Report 2018, mentioned by Gavin as an example of thinking about design operations.
- Else, the London-based design agency where Gavin worked.
- Brunel Industrial Design Engineering, the course Gavin studied at university.
- Warren Hutchison, founder and partner at Else, who Marek spoke with in episode 46 of the MEX podcast.
- Dave Dunlop, one of the Else partners mentioned by Gavin.
- Andy Moore, another of the Else partners mentioned by Gavin.
- Else’s Academy programme, which aims to nurture design talent at the company and build an ongoing relationship with academia through teaching and mentoring.
- An example of how MEX has worked with universities like Brunel on an ongoing programme of collaborative activities, mentioned by Marek as part of the discussion about long-lasting relationships in design education.
- Marek’s conversation with Jo Barnard, founder of design agency Morrama, in episode 59 of the MEX podcast. Jo first got involved with MEX through part of the student programme with Brunel.
- Franco Papeschi’s MEX/9 talk in May 2011 on sustainability and the craftsmanship of digital materials, mentioned by Marek during the conversation with Gavin about craft parallels.
About MEX Design Talk & how to get in touch
The podcast for the MEX community, interviewing UX pioneers, exploring emerging technologies, user behaviour and how to design better digital experiences.
- Archive of previous MEX Design Talk episodes
- Subscribe for future editions by searching ‘MEX Design Talk’ in your favourite podcast player. We’re also on Apple Podcasts, SoundCloud, Stitcher and TuneIn. For the old school, here’s our RSS feed
- If you enjoy MEX Design Talk, please help others discover the podcast by giving us a 5 star rating and a review on Apple Podcasts
- Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter or email email@example.com.
- MEX events
- MEX journal
- MEX Jobs Board
- Jukedeck, for the artificial intelligence engine which provided the music