This episode is a story which gets to the heart of the challenges facing digital agencies, from remote working to incubating in-house ventures, as Craig Bryant talks to Marek Pawlowski about his journey co-founding We Are Mammoth. Craig shares his thoughts on becoming a ‘remote first’ company, creating and scaling two successful software businesses and what it takes to keep delivering for clients. We also hear about his own path, from musician to Flash developer and on to becoming an agency owner. Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter or email email@example.com.
On this edition
- Marek Pawlowski, co-host & founder of MEX (@marekpawlowski)
- Craig Bryant, co-founder & CEO, We Are Mammoth, makers of KinHR.com & DoneDone.com (@simplesider)
- Episode 15 of MEX Design Talk, the interview with Parrish Hanna of Ford, who introduced Craig and Marek
- ‘One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way’ by Robert Maurer Ph.D., the book mentioned by Craig during the show and tell.
- Wikipedia’s Kaizen definition, explaining the subtlety of the translation and its association with the humanisation of the small step process, mentioned by Marek.
- LiquidText, the iPad app combining document viewing, free-form and structured note taking, mentioned by Marek.
- ‘How can UX improvements encourage users to pivot from consuming to creating?’, Marek and Alex’s essay on intersection moments.
- The ongoing ‘Intersection’ theme in the MEX journal, with a collection of articles, videos and podcasts.
- Medium, the writing platform mentioned by Craig
- InVision, the design tool mentioned by Craig
- Ka Wai Cheung and Michael Sanders, Craig’s co-founders at We Are Mammoth
- Guns N’ Roses album ‘Appetite for Destruction’, Craig’s inspiration for learning to play bass guitar
- Berklee College of Music in Boston, where Craig obtained his degree in musical composition
- University of Mannheim in Germany, where Craig studied
- Flash Application Design Solutions: The Flash Usability Handbook, the book on Flash and ActionScript by Craig and Ka Wai
- Steve Jobs’ April 2010 memo setting out the argument against Flash, mentioned by Craig
- ‘A model for nurturing ideas as the life blood of agencies’, Marek’s 2014 essay on the virtuous circle of talent, experimentation and client work.
- ‘Business. It Goes On.’ Craig’s blog post reviewing ten years of We Are Mammoth in September 2016.
- ‘Raising the Bar: Integrity and Passion in Life and Business: The Story of Clif Bar Inc.’ The book by Clif Bar founder Gary Erickson, mentioned by Craig.
- ‘Why we can’t look away from our screens’, a New York Times article as a bonus piece from Craig on user behaviour
- Ted Radio Hour series, ‘Screentime’, another bonus link from Craig
About MEX Design Talk & how to get in touch
The podcast for the MEX community, interviewing UX pioneers, exploring emerging technologies, user behaviour and how to design better digital experiences.
- Archive of previous MEX Design Talk episodes
- Subscribe for future editions by searching ‘MEX Design Talk’ in your favourite podcast player. We’re also on iTunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher and TuneIn. For the old school, here’s our RSS feed
- If you enjoy MEX Design Talk, please help others discover the podcast by giving us a 5 star rating and a review on iTunes
- Get in touch with feedback and questions @mexfeed on Twitter or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MEX events
- MEX journal
- Jukedeck, for the artificial intelligence engine which provided the music